Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A return to Farmlife

Have been back on the farm for 4 nights already and it feels like I have never left.

Except the corn is now 12 feet high

This was the 5th June

This morning 


The Qantas flight from Sydney to Dallas is fantastic - 14 1/2 hours (that's 2 meals,  4 movies and a 5 hour sleep) followed by a short hop to St Louis .

All up including clearing customs and re-boarding in DFW - 18 and a bit hours!

M met me at the airport with some PDA (it has been 7 weeks) and then an hours drive to the farm in time for dinner- champagne with crab cakes and salad. 


I love a good crab cake - but can be disappointed if there is not enough crab, or they are too mushy, too dry or have no flavour.

These from Whole Foods were full of shiny slivers of crab, fresh flavoured and nicely crumbed. 
Our welcome home champagne tradition continues.

Saturday is now a bit of a blur- catching up on what has been happening around here with the renovations (a future post), bbq ribs from our local restaurant eaten on our porch and an early night.

Up early on Sunday for the Keyesport Triathalon- held the same day as Sydney's City to Surf which has 85,000 people walking or running 14kms from Hyde Park in Sydney's CBD to Bondi Beach.


We walked to the lake to cheer on the 75 competitors in the Keyesport Tri - which has a sprint and Olympic event.

 The organisers were very relaxed


Swimmers in the distance before diving into the lake


  I was inspired by this woman - one of the first  people out of the water and she is smiling.

You can see me M and I  (in shadow)


At this point there was not another bike rider in sight - but  according to our local newspaper two cyclists collided near here - both were transported  by ambulance to the local hospital for treatment.  
What are the odds?

There could not be two such different events in my farmlife citylife.

I have run the City Surf before and back in the day I also did a couple of triathlons as well as a very revealing biathalon in Sydney Harbour.

I think I still have a Sprint triathlon in me (1/4 mile swim, 13 mile bike ride and a 3.1 mile run) and there is definitely no Heartbreak Hill in this part of Southern Illinois.

Should l give it a go next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment