Saturday, June 9, 2012

What is a new Recipe?


For me – it"s trying to make something for the first time. 
This week Good Living had a very simple and quick recipe.  
It’s been on my mind all week.
It combines all my favourite textures and flavours- gnocchi, tomato, basil and garlic. Yum.


It's very easy and all I had to buy today was some fresh ricotta.  
I stress fresh. 

There is nothing else  like it.

First, the gnocchi


Ingredients
500g fresh ricotta
2/3 cup grate parmesan cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tspn salt
1 cup plain flour

Place ricotta in a fine sieve over a bowl for 30 minutes to drain off any excess juice

Draining ricotta
Place drained ricotta in a bowl with grated cheese, eggs and salt. 
Add flour and mix to form a dough. Add a little extra flour if the dough is too sticky and wet. 

Mix gently- with love
Divide into quarters and gently roll into two centimetre diameter logs on a lightly floured surface.


Cut into two centimetre pieces and place on a lightly floured tray. 
Press down with a fork to make indents in each gnocchi.

Gnocchi resting 

Now the sauce
Ingredients
1 tbspn olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 punnets cherry tomatoes quartered ( I used baby romas)
1/2 cup basil leaves

Heat oil, add garlic and cook for a few minutes over medium heat. Add tomatoes and basil, cook until hot and then reduce to low and simmer for eight minutes



The finale

To cook the gnocchi,  drop into a saucepan of simmering, lightly salted water and remove as soon as they float to the top, after one or two minutes. Place in a warmed bowl, top with some of the tomato sauce and gently mix. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan.



Belissimo!

Light and fluffy- and a taste of summer.

PS
I halved the recipe and it worked perfectly.  
After draining the ricotta the gnocchi took only 10 minutes to make and a few minutes to cook.
I froze half to see how that works for a quick midweek meal.
Even better,  I'll be able to make this on the farm with our own produce!


1 comment:

  1. Yum!
    I notice you completely ignored my tip of lining the colander or sieve with cheesecloth to make draining the ricotta quicker and more thorough. Ah, all these years of kitchen know-how falling of deaf ears.
    That's nothing new though, living with Graham has helped me get used to it...

    ReplyDelete