Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Old Paris


I know I am not alone in the world in thinking of Paris as one of my favourite cities.

The Eugene Atget  exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW is a fascinating pictorial of Old Paris - during a time it was going through a major transformation.

EE and I  saw over 200 original prints - mainly capturing the streets, old shops and buildings  in late 19th and early 20th century before the work of Haussmann's 19th century modernisation program.


 Very evocative images, mostly without a person in sight


 It is hard to imagine the gracious boulevards of Paris that we see today


but this is just as beautiful 

I love that these photos have captured a period of time forever.


Really worth a visit - but be quick it closes soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment