Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A new chapter


Today is the first day of my "gap 6 months" from my business and work.
For the first time in over thirty five years I will not have work projects to occupy and stimulate me, 
or to provide an income.

I have been planning this since late last year - and thought that these next months on the farm would give me the space and time to wind down and think about my work future. 

In spite of this being planned it still feels like I am taking a big step and I sometimes notice when I am telling people what I am doing I seem to sound a bit deranged.

The idea is not to worry about what lies ahead work wise - but enjoy this "free" time I have.

The farm is the the ideal place to do this - no reminders of my city worklife, a quiet place for reflection but also plenty to do here on a day to day basis - just living our farmlife.

Like making apricot jam - today I made small inroad into this crop of apricots from our laden tree.




The preserving takes place tomorrow.  No rush to get it done today.

Me being me however, I have a list of things I hope to achieve. I won't share them with you just yet....

I hope you will join me on this journey of self-discovery- I think I will need all the support I can get!


2 comments:

  1. Whoops, my comment just disappeared... here goes again!

    As I was saying, Jeffrey Steingarten has a recipe for an excellent sounding Apricot Conserve in his book "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" which I assume you have on your bookshelves.
    The instructions (from memory) recommend making a hard crack syrup and then adding the apricots in two installments: some pureed at the start and others halved or quartered near the end of cooking.
    It sounded divine, and I am entrusting you with the job of making a batch with the best apricots on earth- the ones from your farm.

    If you don't have the recipe, let me know and I;ll go downstairs and get the book out of the diabolical mess of unpacking awaiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made two versions -one Patricia Wells which was cooked in one go. The second her protégées version which was marinated overnight and then cooked until quite dark. Both are really good -cant really tell the difference
    taste wise

    ReplyDelete