Saturday, July 19, 2014

What is achievement?



The first two weeks of my "sabbatical" flew by - with a trip to Birmingham Alabama to see our friend D over the 4th July weekend and a wonderful visit last week from our friends from Oz W&J. 

Spending more time here means I will get to see a bit more of America and we always love to have our friends visit.  All good.  

However, after that initial busy time and with more time on my hands I hit a bit of a low spot early this week -wondering how I would fill my days here on the farm.  

Work wise, I am used to achieving things - through  problem solving, communication and planning.
I always felt an immense satisfaction when a project was completed,  I retained a new client or my list of tasks reduced.
(I am a Virgo in case you didn't guess.)

Now I need to find a different way to satisfy my need to achieve.
To count the things I do each day here as achievements - just different from "my job".

Like this:

Pick fresh veges each day from our garden




Make meals which include at least one ingredient from our garden


Forage for chanterelles and make a new chanterelle recipe-rillettes


Make fresh pasta (sorry no pic)
and 
bake a loaf of bread


Practise my pastry making


Break my block and do some writing 

And yes, lay in the hammock and read.

I have had a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment