Sunday, August 5, 2012

An Australian icon in our farmyard

We have a new addition to our farmhouse that further consolidates our 
American and Australian cross cultural exchange.

For non-Australians, this is a rotary clothesline invented in 1945 by an Australian. 
This iconic Australian symbol of suburbia is available in the US.  We bought ours on line.

Growing up in the 60s in Sydney everyone had a Hill Hoist in their backyard.



It was not just used for drying laundry.
These photos could have been my brother, sister and I  - except ours spun partway over our steeply terraced backyard - making hanging from it very exciting for us kids and guaranteed to make our mother wild...

Our new version, unlike the old sturdy steel model - is made of heavy duty plastic and comes in a range of decorator colours.
And sadly, I found out during my search that all Hills Hoists are now manufactured in China.

New Hills Hoist at the farm - notice the brown grass - it could be in Australia!
Glimpsing it outside my kitchen window, full of washing and swirling in the breeze, makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood.

  Helping Mum hang the washing out, the kookaburra that perched on it,  our backyard near the bush, the adrenalin rush as we swung over the rocks, knowing we could get into trouble if she spotted us.  

But God it was worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment