Wednesday, August 8, 2012

No need to knead.

I enjoy making bread - I like the process, the sense of achievement and of course eating it.

My success however, is a bit patchy - it usually tastes good out of the oven - but ends up being heavy the next day.   I have not been able to consistently get a crisp crust and because I don't bake bread in my city life - due to a lack of time and lots of bakeries outside our front door - I don't get enough practice.

Today I have had a revelation!

I have just finished baking a loaf of the famous no-knead bread developed by Jim Lahey from the Sullivan Street Bakery in New York. I first tore this New York Times recipe out of the Sydney Morning Herald in January 2007 and have been meaning to try it.

I would say this is the BEST loaf of bread I have ever baked.  Ever. In five easy steps.


1. Mix flour, salt and yeast and water (no kneading necessary)

2. Let rise for 18 hours

3. Pour out, fold over and rest for 15 minutes and then shape into a ball and rest for 2 hours

4. Bake in very hot oven in heated heavy covered pot for 30 minutes ( I used my Le Crueset)

5. Take lid off and bake for 15 minutes more to brown and then cool on rack.

Look at this loaf!


 It looks and smells perfect -  a good size and shape, golden brown with an amazing aroma that is now wafting through the house and into my nostrils. 
We are waiting for it to cool with taste buds running wild. 

Thirty minutes later.


Cutting into a nice, crisp crust


Holes in bread is a good sign.  I don't get that very often.

It tastes fantastic - crunchy outside, soft inside, fresh and yeasty, with a great texture and long flavour.

You must try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment