Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What's in a Flag?

Patriotism and flag waving is at a high during during the Olympics and it prompted me to revisit a photo I took when were driving along the back roads here recently, crop touring, and came across this very patriotic barn.  


It was quite a powerful image.
It made me think about patriotism - and what it means in my two countries.

In Australia, I don't believe we would ever see our flag painted on the side of a farm building and it is rare that people wave a flag unless it is an international sporting event or on Australia Day.


In the US, and probably more often outside of the larger cities- there are many very visible examples of the flag as a symbol of patriotism. In front yards, on buildings and on cars.  
Not just on 4th July or Memorial Day, but all year round. 

Personally I feel my own patriotism is reflected in the quiet pride I feel in our isolated sunburnt country,  the significant achievements of many Australians internationally (not just in sport) from our small population base, the positive and inclusive evolution of multiculturalism in our country and our outward looking nature.

I think Australian patriotism is expressed in different ways and not linked primarily to our flag.

This post has raised more questions than I thought when I started it.

Does not flying a flag make Australians less patriotic than Americans?

What does the American flag really represent to Americans?

What does the Australian flag represent to Australians?





No comments:

Post a Comment