Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Working away

I am often asked how I manage to be able to spend time on the farm and still work in Australia.

Although I am my own "boss" and have always been self-motivated I still have clients and ongoing projects that I manage and am responsible for while I am away.
I try to choose my time away when I am in a planned downtime and mix it in with vacation time.

I have been doing this for over ten years and it has certainly become much easier with the growing trend for people to work offsite,  email being a major medium for business communication, skype and cheap international phone calls.

My outdoor farm office
Adapting to the different time zones is easy.
 I check emails and work in the morning here when Australia is asleep.
 I send my replies and do teleconferences in the evening here, when my clients and colleagues are arriving at the office.

Many times people don't even know I am overseas unless I tell them.

Recently a colleague and I were able to complete a project that had a quick turnaround by working on it  in our own times zones - giving our client 24/7 service!

It can sometimes be hard to keep motivated when looking out over our farmland and I am not in my regular full time work routine - but it beats this city grind on a daily basis.

Sydney CBD in peak hour

No comments:

Post a Comment