Thursday, September 20, 2012

City Bread

As much as I enjoy making bread on the farm it is much easier in my busy city life to buy my bread. Have you noticed that bakeries are the latest food mecca?
 They are everywhere. I know people that travel miles to get their favourite loaf.

Today I dropped into The Bourke Street Bakery in Alexandria after a meeting at the airport.   I have driven past on several occasions and noticed a crowd and thought it must be good.
They make everything by hand including organic sourdough and pastries and cakes.

The coffee was excellent - smooth and full bodied
(sadly something which is hard to find in the US,  particularly outside of the bigger cities).

The staff were friendly 

And I'm looking forward to trying these loaves- particularly the fennel, cherry and raisin loaf on the left.

 A baker's life is a hard one, with its long and antisocial hours creating the staff of life for a demanding audience.

I do hope they earn a good crust (excuse the pun) for their effort!

1 comment:

  1. Nicole your last loaf of bread you made on the farm lasted 5 days-it stayed moist on the inside and crusty on the outside. Lets see if this post makes it onto the blog-unlike the post of yesterday.

    ReplyDelete