Saturday, September 29, 2012

First swim

It's a holiday weekend in New South Wales.

 Labour Day, commemorating the eight-hour working day for Australians. 
It also recognises workers' contributions to the local economy.
It's an annual public holiday and its date varies across our states and territories.

I celebrated my contribution to the economy this week by having an early swim yesterday afternoon.
By this I mean my first dip for the summer season in the harbour at Balmoral.

The Rotunda at Balmoral, a favourite landmark
I can't recall getting into the water in Sydney in September -  ever!  
I usually swim through to April- so I am optimistic for a long swimming season this year.

Outside temperature was unseasonably warm and humid - 31C or 92F.

I wasn't the only one

It was bracing and refreshing at 18.1C or 67 F when I dived in and it really cleared the end of work week cobwebs away.

The extra warmth in the air as I walked back to my towel quickly took the chill away.

I believe there are two types of swimmers - those that swim when the temperature of the water equals or is greater than the temperature of the air.

Or people like me - who swim to cool off!

If it's your turn - dive in and have a great long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment