Thursday, July 5, 2012

Food on the Fourth


I have often been on the farm for 4th July, and our story was even immortalised a few years ago in St Louis Magazine AT HOME 
(with photos taken by our friend Steve Adams)

Due to different schedules, we haven't had an Independence Day party for a few years. 
This year we planned a celebration based around traditional American food with a multicultural twist that recognised our worldly appetites.

Most of our friends had driven over an hour to get here, so a Bellini - a puree of our white peaches dolloped into a cold flute of Prosecco  - was a very refreshing welcome on a 100+F day.

Appetisers included Manchego and red peppers on crostini, spicy Asian chicken wrapped in iceberg lettuce and garlic shrimp, sizzling from the wood fired oven (WFO).

Photo: Steve Adams
Our main was something we hadn't cooked before in the WFO - baby back ribs. 
I think these are so American and for me symbolise summer here and the 4th July.
We have always wanted to try making them.  I found 2 recipes,  one for a dry rub and one a marinade.
Both were excellent - with only a few bones left on the platter. 
Most people had a favourite- I enjoyed having the two tastes on my plate.
Marcia brought two delicious salads - a lightly pickled cucumber and a peach coleslaw,  I made Jamie Oliver's "mother ship" tomato salad and a basil pesto potato salad.



Photos: Steve Adams
Dessert was my mother-in-laws famous peach cobbler - which I made using our peaches and served with Mark's homemade vanilla ice cream.

Photo: Steve Adams
We could even see some local fireworks in the distance as the night ended.

I wonder if we will ever celebrate Australia's own Independence Day?

These brilliant photos were all taken by Steve Adams and while my post has focussed on the food, his blog has more photos of what we got up to between courses.






No comments:

Post a Comment