Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fried Green "Tomay-toes"

Following on from my recent post on local specialties -
I had some fried green tomatoes on my recent trip into Kentucky.  These are a regional specialty of the Southern states.  

The idea of them has appealed to me since I read the book and saw the movie, 
Fried Green Tomatoes (at the Whistle Stop Cafe) many moons ago. 
(Must read/see that again while I am here)

I had them a while back on a visit to Memphis and at the time I felt they were a bit heavy on the oil, without much real flavour.  I thought perhaps that was what green tomatoes must taste like - but it didn't match with what I had read or imagined and I had no interest in tasting an uncooked green tomato.


They are not readily available in Illinois or Missouri so when I saw them on the menu at Shandies in Paducah as Fried Green Tomato Crisps - pickled green tomato with pink peppercorn ranch dressing- I immediately knew I had to have them again.

We shared a plate of these tasty morsels - the tang of the pickling really elevated their flavour, there was a  crunch of, I think, cornmeal in the batter and they were light in spite of being fried and dipped in the dressing. I think the pickling was the key. 

I have been researching recipes and will give them a try soon.  


We have plenty of green tomatoes at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment