Monday, July 16, 2012

Unique property for sale


 On my way to town I pass this lovely old church that has been for sale for some time


The Hopewell Methodist Church erected in 1876. 
Its design is very simple, in the style of original and local farmhouses.
It is located on the bend of a pretty road, amongst fields of grain.


Such a positive and hopeful sounding name. 
The worn entry stairs reveal the numbers of people who came through its doors over the years to pray or seeking salvation. 
A place that has good karma, I would think.



I often imagine what it could become in the hands of a new owner.

A great destination farm restaurant -
in the style of those in rural France or Blue Hill at Stone Barns in New York state.
It would be patronised by locals but also attract customers from our closest big city, St Louis
and other nearby towns.
A place renowned for long Sunday lunches and special events,  giving people a greater understanding  and connection to the land. 
 It would feature produce from growers and producers in the surrounding area and would have its own vegetable and herb garden as well.
It would serve simply prepared food, in season, in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere and accompanied by good value and quality wine.


I can dream, can't I?

Could it work?  

Or does something like this have to be closer to a big city? 

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, I love the concept but I'm afraid it's all about location, as you well know. If it were within 30 mins of St Louis I think it would have great possibilities. Being an hour away might be too much. I had a majestic barn that I always dreamed of making into a "Cadillac Ranch" with the dance floor in the haymow, but decided I'm just too far in the boonies. I love your blog. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a dream- even if reality stops it being realised!
      Thank you for the comment and feedback re my blog.

      Delete