Sunday, July 29, 2012

Last of the summer corn

Tonight we ate some fresh sweetcorn grown by our friends Steve and Dawn.  
Possibly the last that we will get our hands on this summer.

This recipe for Roasted Corn Risotto is one I have cooked on both sides of the world for a quite a few years.  It is one of my favourites.  The corn's roasted sweetness- slight caramelised, the creamy stock and just cooked arborio rice is a fresh and summery version of a traditional comfort food meal.

I would never have attempted this if it was a hot night - but at 80F with a fresh breeze we have had a perfect afternoon and it tempted me to the stove to stir my rice and stock, accompanied by a glass of a wine - a classic Californian chardonnay. What a match! And perfect later with the risotto.


Our verdict, the last of the summer corn is the sweetest.

2 comments:

  1. We have had so many comments about how sweet that corn is. I hope you enjoyed it. It looks like our next planting will have better pollination, so I'll plan on saving you some for our next wine consuming event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to that. It is great to have some local suppliers, who are also good company!

    ReplyDelete